Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spring Break: Cake Marathon, Oldie Moldies and Coffee Shop Bliss

This past week was filled with so many different activities that I do not even know where to start! As of right now, I am on Spring Break from work and I am enjoying lazy-pajama- coffee-mornings while catching up on some much needed housework, Pinterest musings, novel reading and TLC marathons. I have been home by myself for the past day and a half and although it is relaxing, I am greatly anticipating the trip down to Colorado Springs for Easter later on tonight. I have always been the kind of person who really does not prefer being alone, thus, getting married has been fantastic for my mental health.

This past weekend, to start off my Spring Break, we visited Haxtun as a sort of pre-Easter celebration. We got to spend more time than usual there, as my dear husband took Monday and Tuesday off for more family time and my birthday, respectively. On Saturday afternoon, I got the pleasure of attending a wedding reception complete with tie-dye cake for some good friends. This is piece one of my cake saga that has still not ended....because then on Saturday night, Jordan and I attended a town gathering called the "Chuckwagon" that was one of the most unusual and fun things I have ever done. We had a meal that included yet another piece of cake, I got to see Jordan's elementary/middle/high school all at once and we got to hear a suprisingly fantastic live band of elderly men playing oldie hits. The music included Bob Segar, Louis Armstrong, and the Temptations. I was in heaven with the music choice and walking around the school beforehand, looking at all the sports pictures of my hubby up on the wall was particularly delightful as well.

My third piece of cake for the weekend brings us to my first 23rd birthday celebration at my In-Laws house where we had the most amazing Oreo ice cream cake! The next morning, Monday, Jordan took me to the Haxtun Daily Grind, AKA the most adorable coffee shop I have ever set foot in. To my pleasant suprise, they had many choices of sugar-free coffee syrup (more than even Starbucks, actually), shelves of flavored coffee beans to scoop yourself, a small accessory boutique and ample table space. For those of you that are coffee shop connoisseurs as I am, the Daily Grind is perfect. It especially  reminded me of my favorite coffee shop in Laramie.

We headed home Monday afternoon and made it home by dinner time, following which, Jordan proceeded to make my second birthday cake. During the time that Jordan was making my cake, I learned something about myself. I can now fully admit that my name is Taylor Hagemeyer, and I am a baking control-freak. I started out just watching and gradually began to just ease the rubber spatula out of Jordan's hand until I got myself banished to the living room. I tried to intervene once again when he started "scrambling" the eggs by shaking them over his head like maracas....but I was unsuccessful at my attempts to leap over the kitchen/front room dividing line. Needless to say, the cake came out perfect, with the smoothest frosting I have ever seen and a top so level, only an engineer could have made it. My birthday came on Tuesday and was filled with several doctors appointents, car shopping and a little for fun shopping too. We went out to dinner, opened presents and ate my fourth piece of cake for the week, thankfully it's not like I have a chronic disease that prevents me from cake binging or anything.....oh wait, ha. All cakes considered though, my blood sugar has been quite perfect for the past few days which is a welcome change compared to breaks from routine in the past.

Tonight brings my 5th (or possibly 7th) piece of cake this week and my 3rd birthday celebration at my parent's house. Thankfully, I will not have a cake overdose because this cake is in the form of a cherry cheese pie! I am looking forward to spending 3 days with my family and celebrating Easter, perhaps the most important holiday out of all of them. I have now successfully unpacked our bag from our last adventure and repacked it for the coming one. I must say that packing just one bag for the two of us is secretly thrilling in a sappy newlywed sort of way. I suppose that is all for now....bring on the cake!



No comments:

Post a Comment